Professor Bob Brier received his Ph.D from the University of North Carolina. He is not only one of the nation’s leading Egyptologists, but a brilliant lecturer and storyteller. He is professor of philosophy at the C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University and the author of several books including The Murder of Tutankhamen: A True Story (Berkley Books, 1998), The Daily Life of the Ancient Egyptians (Greenwood Press, 1999) and The Secret of the Great Pyramid: How One Man’s Obsession Led to the Solution of Ancient Egypt’s Greatest Mystery(Harper Collins, 2008). Professor Brier has served as director of the “Egyptology Today” program of the National Endowment for the Humanities, and as host of the Learning Channel series, The Great Egyptians. He has twice been selected as a Fulbright Scholar, and has received Long Island University’s David Newton Award for Teaching Excellence in recognition of his achievements as a lecturer. Bob is a featured lecturer on The Great Courses (formerly The Teaching Company) series, and a wonderful teacher with a special flair for evoking the distant past in ways that make it seem vividly present.
“The recent trip with Bob Brier was outstanding and we all learned SOOOO much (which was the point) and I even won a “Gummy Mummy”!!!!!! I hope Far Horizons continues to connect us common people with the brilliant professorial types that you find to lead us. You enrich our world….” – Catherine Ellison
Tours Led by Bob Brier
- Egyptian Art in Eight European Museums: St. Petersburg, Moscow, Copenhagen, Edinburgh & Glasgow August 2 - 12, 2020 | Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Travel to five magnificent European cities – St. Petersburg, Moscow, Copenhagen, Edinburgh, Glasgow – to view outstanding collections of Egyptian art: the Hermitage, the Pushkin Museum, three museums in both Copenhagen and Scotland, including the National Museum’s Collections Centre in Edinburgh.
- Tour Egypt in Germany and Austria September 11 - 22, 2019 | Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Led by renowned Egyptologist, Bob Brier, and Art Historian, Patricia Remler, travel from Hannover in northern Germany to Vienna in Austria, to visit each country’s great museums with outstanding Egyptology assemblages. And along the way, stroll through historic centers with some of the most stunning architecture in northern Europe: Hildesheim, Leipzig, Regensburg, Munich, Salzburg
- Undiscovered Egypt Tour & Nile Cruise March 17 - 30, 2020| Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Explore some of the most historically important, yet often unvisited, sites in Egypt: Alexandria; Amarna (with a private tour led by the archaeologist working there), and recently opened tombs near Saqqara (closed to the public). The trip culminates with a three day cruise down the Nile aboard a traditional Egyptian sailing yacht.
- The Majesty of Egypt Tour October 10 - 23, 2020 | Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Travel from Cairo to Luxor to Aswan to Abu Simbel, and along the way experience awe-inspiring events as Far Horizons opens sites closed to the public - the pyramid of Unas, the richly-painted tomb of Nefertari, and the tomb chamber of the Great Pyramid. Join Far Horizons as we travel in the footsteps of the pharaohs!
- Egypt in Italy: Turin, Florence and Rome Tour TBD | Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Join Far Horizons Archaeological and Cultural Trips on a 11-day journey in Italy. Travel from Turin to Florence to Rome visiting Egyptian collections at renowned museums and view Rome's Egyptian obelisks.
- Museums of Four Cities: Berlin, Paris, London and Cambridge 2021 Dates TBA | Bob Brier and Patricia Remler Join Far Horizons on a truly unique 9-day tour of Berlin, Paris, London, and Cambridge, with an emphasis on each city’s great museum and their Egyptology collections: Neues Museum, the Louvre, the British Museum and the newly re-opened Fitzwilliam Museum.